Also in 2004
May 29, 2006
The following events also occurred in 2004...
- A 9.0 earthquake rocked the Indian Ocean and created devastating tsunamis that killed at least 220,000 people from Thailand to Somalia.
- Former president Ronald Reagan died at his California home nearly 10 years after announcing he had Alzheimer’s disease.
- 1994 Nobel Peace Prize winner Yasser Arafat died in a Paris hospital on Nov. 11.
- The Boston Red Sox broke the Curse of the Bambino and defeated their arch rivals, the New York Yankees, en route to the World Series where they swept the St. Louis Cardinals.
- It was the year of sequels as Spider-Man 2 and Shrek 2 ruled the box office.
- The New England Patriots won their second Super Bowl in three years.
- The issue of steroids plagues Major League Baseball.
- Smarty Jones failed to capture the Triple Crown.
- The Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons engaged in one of the biggest brawls in NBA history, as Pacers players Ron Artest, Jermaine O’Neal and Stephen Jackson were all handed huge suspensions for fighting with the Detroit fans.