WWE amasses 75,000 hours of content
STAMFORD, Conn., June 5, 2006 – Over the past few years, World Wrestling Entertainment® has been aggregating the best of professional wrestling television by strategically acquiring the video libraries from a host of national and regional promoters. With a collection now totaling over 75,000 hours of content, the WWE video library is the largest of its kind.
In addition to its own extensive WWE Library, WWE purchased libraries dating back to the 1950’s from WCW®, ECW®, AWA®, WCCW, CWF, CSW, OVW, and SMW, representing virtually all of the significant wrestling programming in the world.
WWE intends to monetize this vast collection across several initiatives:
- WWE 24/7 OnDemand, the company’s subscription video-on-demand-service featured on Cox Communications, RCN, Rogers Cable, Insight, Verizon and other distributors internationally, and which will be launched on Comcast this August.
- A new one-hour “Classic” television program, to be distributed internationally starting this summer.
- WWE Home Video, to which the library compilation has already contributed to successful titles like “The Rise and Fall of ECW,” “The Monday Night War” and “The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection,” three of the Top 20 best selling sports DVDs of all time.
- WWE.com, on which events and matches from a cross-section of the WWE video library compilation are currently available for purchase.
- WWE’s burgeoning Broadband and Mobile businesses, where WWE has seen its popularity and Superstars scale efficiently to a worldwide audience that wants more content beyond television.
The WWE video library includes events and matches with the biggest stars in wrestling history: Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Andre The Giant, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, The Von Erichs, Triple H, The Undertaker, Jesse “The Body” Ventura, and many, many others.
World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: WWE) is an integrated media and entertainment company headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto and London.