Superstars clash in Christchurch Wednesday, 13 September, in an over-the-top-rope melee to determine a challenger for the Intercontinental Title that same night. Tickets are available now.07/28/2017 - 11:00
Cena gets revved up
John Cena is living life in the fast lane this week. He's one of several celebrities filming the new ABC reality series, Fast Cars and Superstars: Gillette Young Guns Celebrity Race. The celebs will join NASCAR's Gillette Young Guns drivers at the Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C., for the competition.
After his first day at the track, Cena spoke to WWE.com about his early experiences at the track so far.
"I have been briefed in the lay of the land. I know that I will be racing cars. I will be on the track with other NASCAR drivers," he said. "Each celebrity is going to be paired with a driver, and it's pretty simple -- the fastest person wins, the slowest people go home."
While Cena said he doesn't have the opportunity to watch many NASCAR Nextel Cup races on Sundays because he's often busy traveling with WWE, he is a fan of the sport.
"Ever since I got to do Wally Dallenbach's show where he actually took me around the track, I've been more and more a fan of NASCAR," he said.
In addition to Cena, the other celebrities participating in the show are:
• Kenny Mayne (host) -- ESPN sports broadcaster
• Brad Daugherty (co-host) -- Five-time All-Star Cleveland Cavalier, ESPN commentator
• Tony Hawk -- Skateboarding icon and video game entrepreneur
• Serena Williams -- Eight-time, Grand Slam winning professional tennis player and fashion designer
• Jewel -- Award-winning pop music star
• Ty Murray -- Seven-time All-Around World Champion rodeo star
• John Elway -- NFL Hall of Fame quarterback and Super Bowl Champion
• Laird Hamilton -- Surfing legend and extreme sports enthusiast
• Gabrielle Reece -- Professional volleyball player and supermodel
• John Salley -- Two-time NBA Championship winner, host of Fox Sports' Best Damn Sports Show Period
• Bill Cowher -- Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach
• William Shatner -- Actor and TV personality
• Krista Allen -- What About Brian actress
Cena said he's already sized up the opposition.
"Just by statistics, I'd say John Salley is my biggest competition because he's the biggest guy out there. So I'm looking forward to gunning him because we have a little bit of history together," he said.
Cena said he's met all the Gillette Young Guns drivers and called them "awesome."
The Gillette Young Guns participating in the show are:
• Kasey Kahne -- No. 9 Dodge, sponsored by Dodge, 2004 NASCAR Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year
• Carl Edwards -- No. 99 Ford, sponsored by Office Depot
• Jamie McMurray -- No. 26 Ford, sponsored by Crown Royal, 2003 NASCAR Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year
• Jimmie Johnson -- No. 48 Chevrolet, sponsored by Lowe's, 2006 NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion
• Kurt Busch -- No. 2 Dodge, sponsored by Miller Lite, 2004 NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion
• Ryan Newman -- No. 12 Dodge, sponsored by Alltel, 2002 NASCAR Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year
The seven-episode series will begin airing in June, as a lead-in to the NBA Finals on ABC. On Fast Cars and Superstars: Gillette Young Guns Celebrity Race, the celebrities will take basic driving lessons, compete in time trials and driving challenges, and pitting and tire-changing tests. Celebrities will be eliminated on each episode, and three will compete in an exciting final race.
"In the back of my mind, I'm aware of what that car can do, but I'm a lot more excited than nervous," Cena said. "I told everybody that either I'm going to win, or I'm going to wreck. So we'll see. Hopefully I learn what it's like in the winner's circle."
Cena's strategy will be to get some of the celebrities riled up with each, he said.
"I've seen the rapport between the contestants, it's very friendly. Make no mistake about it, I don't mind losing, but I want to win," Cena said.
"So I'm letting everybody know that I respect what they've done, I respect their professions, but we're not playing football, we're not playing basketball, we're not even wrestling. We're racing cars. That wipes the slate clean," he smiled.
"I'm out there against 11 other drivers, so I'm talking a lot of smack like I usually do, trying to get everybody stirred up."
Airdates for ABC's Fast Cars and Superstars: Gillette Young Guns Celebrity Race are:
• June 7, Thursday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 10, Sunday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 12, Tuesday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 14, Thursday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 17, Sunday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 19, Tuesday, 8-8:30 p.m.
• June 24, Saturday, 7-8 p.m. (finale episode)
Stay tuned to WWE.com for more on Fast Cars and Superstars: Gillette Young Guns Celebrity Race.