WrestleMania V Time Capsule: 1989
May 6, 2005
The following events also occurred in 1989...
- The Berlin Wall falls on Nov. 9.
- Arsenio Hall becomes the first African American nightly talk show host.
- The Cold War comes to an end.
- The Exxon oil spill off the coast of Alaska becomes the top environmental concern.
- The Tienanmen Square protest leaves thousands dead in China.
- The pizza-loving, crime fighting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles become everyone's favorite heroes in a half shell.
- Milli Vanilli becomes one of the top musical acts of the year and win a Grammy.
- Pepsi thinks Madonna's Like a Prayer video is too controversial and pulls its commercial that uses the same music.
- Batman tops the box office.
- Roseanne rules the television world.
- Cops infatuates the nation and becomes the first reality television hit.
- Baywatch hits the air, titillating male audiences.
- New Kids on the Block become the first real big boy band.