Year in Review
October 1, 2006
The following events also occurred in 2000...
- Britain’s Queen Mother celebrated her 100th birthday.
- AOL and Time Warner merged in one of the biggest mergers in history.
- Everyone wanted to know if Elian Gonzalez would stay in the U.S. or go back to Cuba.
- Hillary Clinton becomes a New York senator.
- Metallica sues Napster because people are illegally downloading their music.
- The Presidential election comes under scrutiny when hanging chads and other blunders hold up the results in Florida.
- Tiger Woods wins an amazing three out of the four majors and earns almost $10 million.
- The New York Yankees face the New York Mets in what is dubbed the Subway Series and win their fourth World Series in five years.
- Bobby Knight is fired as the head men’s basketball coach at Indiana University.
- The St. Louis Rams, led by MVP Kurt Warner, beat the Tennessee Titans to win the Super Bowl in a game that came down to the last play.
- Alex Rodriguez signs the biggest contract in sports history with the Texas Rangers.
- Atlanta Braves closer John Rocker ruffled everyone’s feathers when he lashed out against minorities in New York.
- Jim Carrey turned green and led How The Grinch Stole Christmas to box office success.
- The nation loved watching Tom Hanks talk to a volleyball, as Cast Away captivated movie audiences.