Year in Review
March 30, 2006
The following events also occurred in 1999...
- The entire nation was scared that the world as they knew it would end with Y2K.
- Star Wars made its return to the silver screen with The Phantom Menace. Star Wars fanatics everywhere cringed at the sight of Jar Jar Binks.
- Regis Philbin made game shows cool again with Who Wants to be a Millionaire
- Young females dominated the pop scene as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson and Mandy Moore all had hits.
- The Sopranos became the latest hit HBO series.
- The United States Women's Soccer Team won the World Cup and Brandi Chastain made headlines, and the cover of Sports Illustrated, when she took off her shirt in celebration.
- The Akins diet became the newest way to lose weight.
- The Latin Invasion began in the music industry as Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias and Mark Anthony all had hits.
- Susan Lucci finally won an Emmy after 19 tries for her work on All My Children.
- Pokemon captivated youngsters everywhere.
- Keanu Reeves hit it big with The Matrix.